Saturday, February 16, 2008

Job Hazards



In 10 years of coaching gymnastics I have been whacked a few times, but yesterday took the cake! When it happened I was coaching the older team girls on floor. One gymnast had been learning a new tumbling pass on the tumble track (trampoline strip) and was good enough to do it on the floor onto a mat but she was scared to go and asked me to spot her. She was doing a front-handspring, front tuck. Gymnasts are now required to do one front tumbling pass on floor. Anyway, she went for it and instead of setting with her arms up she threw them out to the side and I got a good punch. Just one of those freak accidents. I definitely saw stars and had to sit down for a little while with a bag of frozen peas on my eye. (We keep those in a freezer at the gym for these occasions.) I have re-played it in my mind and wondered if there was anything I could have done differently besides just having her go by herself onto the mat. My boss jokingly said "next time, duck." 11 stitches later from a plastic surgeon on call, (hopefully the scar wont be too terrible.) I felt kind of like I had been in a boxing match and wondered why anyone would honestly want to be a boxer. Here are the before and afters.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you for displaying such gore on your blog. I hope they gave you good drugs for the pain.

Rob said...

I'm really glad that didn't go IN your eye. Ouch.

Greg said...

11 stitches???
Holy Crow!
Hopefully the plastic surgeon was a good one and you won't have a scar on that gorgeous face! OUCH!!!

Unknown said...

Rich told me about this- ouch! You are so brave!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! We heard about this...I hope it is healing ok!

Unknown said...

Thanks! It is doing pretty well. I go back to the surgeon in 3 weeks to see if there is anything else that needs to be done. It is still a bit bruised, but it doesn't hurt when I bend over to pick up toys anymore. So far, It looks better than I thought it would....I'll have to post another pic soon.