Saturday, July 26, 2008

Rejection

I was trying not to blog about Youth Conference chaperoning because it might not be that interesting for anyone to read but I had something very funny (to me at least) happen today. It was during two hours of instructional dance this morning and sometimes there were uneven numbers of boys and girls so the "chaperones" would participate if someone needed a partner. The instructors were good about switching partners pretty regularly so that the youth could meet alot of people and possibly so that no one would get stuck with a "chaperone" for too long. Anyway, I was standing near a boy who needed a partner. His parents were in my ward growing up, but he was like 5 or something then. He is slightly autistic and very honest. I said "Hi! I'll be your partner" and reached for his hands. He looked at me and said "How OLD are you?" Me: Laughing, "I know, I am old." Youth: "But how old ARE you?" Me: trying to decide if it was really necessary to add the three "I'm thirty.......three." Youth: "Can I dance with someone my own age?" Me: Trying to sound cheerful, "Sure, I'll go find someone." HAHAHAHA :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! This story makes me miss my Arc kids in Chapel Hill. Youth stuff is so much more entertaining when you are the "old" one.

KQ said...

That's funny! When I first tried to sign up for facebook (back when you had to be associated with a school), I filled out the application and clicked continue and the next page that came up was a full page with extra large letters that read, "YOU ARE TOO OLD FOR FACEBOOK". Ouch! Blow to the ego!

Kerri said...

HAHAHA!!!! Are we really old enough to be chaperones???

OK...gotta know...who's kid was it???

Rich said...

That's funny - you know, you could have said 23 or 43 and you would have probably gotten the same response!

For most youth, anyone over 20 is WAY old.

Unknown said...

That's true :)

Unknown said...

Hilarious...at least you appreciated the humor! BTW, Meadow's lunch list was pretty funny. A true girl at heart!

HAYHAY said...

How funny. That is a good story to remember. I did my student teaching at a junior high. All I can say is you have to have a good self esteem when you work with that age group:)